Not a member? Why not lend your support to the discipline? If you would like to join, and fulfil the requirements below, apply online.
If you are an existing member and wish to update your information as it appears in the Directory of Members, use the login link on the left.
Click here to learn about joint Student Associate Membership of the Royal Anthropological Institute.
The ASA offers membership to persons of academic standing who, by virtue of their training, posts held and published works can be recognised as professional social anthropologists. Applications are considered thorughout the year by the committee, and are ratified at the Association's Annual Business Meeting.
As a member you will receive:
- access to the online Directory of ASA members
- the annual ASA monograph from Berg
- invitations to the Annual Conference (for which you pay a reduced fee)
Membership runs from January to December.
Hold a postgraduate degree in social anthropology OR have published significant work in social anthropology (which may include film, exhibitions and other forms of publication that embody professional applications of social anthropology)
hold or have held a teaching or research appointment in social anthropology OR to hold or have held other employment using his or her training in social anthropology OR to have been unavoidably unemployed for more than calendar year after his or her training in social anthropology at a university or comparable institution of higher education.
- Members resident in the UK: £55 (this includes the ASA Monograph volume incl. p&p)
- Members resident in Country List A: £46 (this includes ASA Monograph volume incl. p&p)
- Members resident in Country List B: £20 (no monograph included)
- Retired, Unwaged: £20 (no monograph included, although preferential prices are available if you wish)
- Low-waged members (<£15k annual income): £25 (no monograph)
- Associate members (students): £25
Country list A: countries in Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, & USA
Country list B: countries in Africa, Asia (less above exceptions), Latin America & the Caribbean
N.B. Membership subscription rates rose in 2016, having not been increased since 2008.
Applications are made by online form, and applicants will need to give the names of two members of the Association who can act as referees. Please do not attempt to pay for membership until your application has been processed and you have been sent an invoice.